Thursday, June 16, 2011

Trying Not the be a Lifeguard


My "new" for Saturday was a bittersweet experience.

For the past three summers, I had been lifeguarding at a public pool and this summer was the first time I wasn't going to be there, and this was sad for three reasons. Firstly, I actually like yelling at kids. Secondly, I would've most likely been in charge of the whole pool if I had gone back and been making a reasonable amount. And thirdly, I won't be as tan as I usually get during the summer.

Today I had actually gone and visited the pool for the first time this summer, and it was the first time I had been without being a lifeguard too! It was a little weird. I went with a couple other veteran lifeguards from the pool and we had fun, but it was just weird being there not lifeguarding. I didn't have my suit on, which was weird, and I wasn't yelling at the kids on the slide, which was weird, and I didn't have a headache being there, which was weird.

Lifeguarding was probably one of the best jobs I've had. It's equally as lazy as it is hard work. And I have learned a LOT throughout the years. For instance, I know how to clean throw up and blood off of the deck, I know how to break up fights, I know how to whistle, I know how to embarrass kids in front of their friends, and I know how to save lives!

I probably wouldn't know half of this stuff if I hadn't worked at the "ghetto" pool, but I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. It’s actually a really nice big pool, there are just some sketchy people and troublesome kids that come sometimes:) But that's what makes it fun! Well, maybe not "fun" but certainly not boring.

Anyways, it was so hard not to do any kind of guardly duty while I was there. It’s like its second nature, it’s in my blood. It's hard for me not to lifeguard when I'm at different pools too. I just want to keep people safe and tell them what to do!

I think I will be a lifeguard for the rest of my life.


Exodus 23:20
Behold, I send an angel before you to guard you on the way and to bring you to the place that I have prepared.

2 comments:

  1. Jenny I met Becca (a lifeguard) at the pool and I told her I was your mom and she said they miss you sooo much!!!! She said You all are like a big family there:) I wish you were still there too! It was nice seeing you everyday at our "ghetto" pool.:)xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how u fell i fell the same wai at lifeguarding

    ReplyDelete