Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Japanese Noodles



Well you know you're running out of food when you turn to weird Japanese noodles to eat. When I went to the oriental store the other day I had picked up these noodles so I could eat them with the left over sauce I had. And so for my Monday's "new" I experienced the flavor of these Japanese type of noodles.

They were packed in a way that separated different servings. If I only wanted a serving just for me, I'd cook one bundle, and if I was cooking for two or just extremely hungry, I'd cook two bundles, maybe three... Anyways, I decide I was just one bundle hungry, but there were no directions so I wasn't sure how to cook them exactly. So I just assumed to do it the same way I would cook spaghetti. So I get the water in the pot, put it on the stove, and turn it on. I'm careful not to watch it either so it'll start boiling right.

The noodles themselves aren't very long and they are extremely thin, so thin in fact that as soon as I put them in the boiling water, they were almost done cooking. It only took a couple of minutes until they were done all the way. It was weird watching it boil because the noodles were so thin that it almost looked like I was cooking hair. They were thinner than even angel hair pasta.

When it was done, I didn't want to put it in a strainer because the noodles would've gone through. So instead, I just tipped the pot with the lid still on to get all the water out. Mistake. It was working fine at first and then I tried to open it a little more to get the last of the water out and I lost it and all of the noodles came plop out into the sink. I was so sad! I hate when I work hard for food and I look forward to eating it and then it just falls on the floor or the dog gets it. Well I just did not want to make it again! So here's my logic, I figure it was boiling water that I had poured out into the sink, and boiling hot water must kill all the germs that was in the sink. Plus the dishes had just been washed so there was just soup in there to kill the germs too. So I just scooped it up and put it in a bowl ( I was going to put it on a plate but my roommate had brought up the very good point that if I put it on a plate, as soon as I whipped around with it, the noodles would probably go flying off my plate onto the kitchen floor; and I haven't developed much logic yet for picking up stuff from that floor).



I was then again disappointed because I found out that my roommate had thrown away the Alfredo sauce I was going to use. She was cleaning out the fridge and it was supposedly passed the expiration date, but it was still good! I had just eaten some. But I'm not complaining because she did clean the fridge out and that was very much needed, so thank you Dominica:) I used marinara sauce instead.

My first bite . . . very good! I was pleased. The noodles were super thin and they tasted a little teeny bit different then normal spaghetti. It almost had a romen noodle taste to it. I just ate it all up, and it did not taste the least bit like a sink. I will definitely be eating it again, mostly just because I had no money for anything else:)

Here are some other funny Japanese things I found when I was looking for pictures.

Those crazy shows they have


Really weird pillows!

No idea at all

I always do!

Yeah, I usually do catch a turd or two when I fish in the toilet...



Genesis 27:28
May God give you of the dew of heavenand of the fatness of the earthand plenty of grain and wine.


1 comment: