Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hillcats


My first day back at Hillcats Baseball Stadium. Definitely not a new thing at all. I have been at Hillcats now going on 7 years. But it is my first year of just waitresses, so I am counting that as my new:)

I started working at Hillcats when I was just a wee little lass of fourteen. I started out at the Dippin' Dots stand and I loved it! All I had to do was scoop the dots, and fill my face with little spoonfuls. I was in charge of that stand, it was MY stand. And then I started working at the concessions stand and other people started taking over Dippin' Dots and I was so sad. I only wanted to be over there, but none of my bosses ever listened to me. Then as soon as I turned 18, I started waiting on the sky boxes. I'm not really the waitressing type, but I've been there for so long, it wasn't hard to pick up. I didn't do just the sky boxes either, he had me doing concessions too, wish I did NOT like.

So before the season started this year, I e-mailed my boss and told him I only wanted to do sky boxes and no more concessions. He wrote back and told me to give him a call. Oh gosh, I was going to have to fight with him. So I called the next day and he said he wanted to talk to me about a few things from last summer.
"Okay..." says I.
"I noticed that last summer that sometimes you did not tuck in your shirt." he said, "Sometimes you had your shirt rolled under so it looked like it was tucked in, but it wasn't."
"Okay...um I'll make sure it's tucked in this year," says I. I could not believe what I was hearing.
"And also I noticed how you would be tired sometimes, and you would tell me," he said, "I know you worked two jobs."
"Yeah, I mean I am tired sometimes and I might complain about it, but I've never acted tired toward any customers," says I, "Don't worry about that."
"Okay," He said.
"So is it okay that I just work waitstaff then?" I asked.
"Oh yeah, that's fine," he said.

Oh my goodness. I can't believe I actually had that conversation. He is so weird. I've been through so many bosses and he is definitely one of the strangest I've had.

Well anyways, my first night back went alright. I started out with only one box showing up, so one of the other waitresses gave me hers and then all my boxes started showing up so I ended up giving one back to her.

My first box got a lot of alcohol which is always a big tip so I was happy with them. My second box had only one couple and the husband was so sweet and his wife was a real jerk! Don't you hate when that happens? Poor guy. My third box had a bunch of people and they got a lot of food, but I wasn't such a great waitress to them because it was the box I jumped in on, so I kept forgetting things. But everything turned out okay, I made about my average in tips, it was pretty good for a Tuesday.

It felt so natural being back at Hillcats. Oh its going to be a long summer.

Genesis 43:31
Then he washed his face and came out. And controlling himself he said, "Serve the food."

1 comment:

  1. Jenny first I hope no one reads this that would realize you are talking about them!!! Second I laughed out loud to myself picturing your whole night! Tell Kenny I said hi! Love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete