Friday, April 22, 2011

Record to Bowl

I got the idea for today's "new" from a coffee shop. Last week I was downtown, and I had some time to kill before I had to be somewhere. So I decided to get some coffee and read at The White Hart Cafe, it is such an awesome coffee shop/ bookstore! They have live bands playing every once in a while, and it has a great atmosphere.

While I was waiting for my coffee to be made, I was looking around and I spotted this really cool bowl. It was a record that had been made into a bowl, like melted and folded somehow. I loved it! It was so unique! And it just so happens, that I had a bunch of records I had gotten from that huge trip to Goodwill I had gone on. I thought I might be able to use them for something. What a coincidence!

I wasn't sure how to do it at all, the only thing I knew was that it was melted in place somehow. For some reason I thought the best way to do this would be a lighter. Why you ask? I don't know, it failed miserably as you would probably assume. So then I thought of the stove! What a great idea that was! And I silently congratulated myself.

I went to the stove and turned on the burner to high and I slowly rotated the record above it. It began to bend and I tried my best to mold it how I wanted. I had a bowl there so I could mold it around the bowl. I had to keep heating it up again because it kept hardening the wrong way:( I did it for this first time on the record I had already jacked up with the lighter so I wouldn't have to ruin another record. I really liked the way it turned out! So, I tried it again. It was a little hard of a technique because it was hard to hold with my hands because it was hot, but it was also hard to hold with the oven mitts as well. But overall I liked how it turned out.

Then it had only just dawned on me to look on the internet to see how other people said to do it. Most everyone said to use the oven, not the stove. I guess that would be even easier, I hadn't thought of that. The directions were to get a cookie sheet, bowl, and record. Set the oven to 200 degrees and turn the bowl upside down and put the record on top of it. Wait for the record to start bending and then take it out of the oven and use the bowl to mold it. I liked this technique more. It gave me just about the same result, but the process was a lot simpler.

So now I have some really awesome bowls to show off in my house! Who says melting random stuff is bad? It just has to be the right random stuff. I think I'll put candy in themJ
put some candy in them.


This is the jacked up lighter one

An over head view. The one that looks pink is the oven one, and
the one that looks red is the stove/burner one.

Side view


If you want to give it a try, watch this vid and gopher it!





Psalm 119:28
My soul melts away for sorrow;strengthen me according to your word!



No comments:

Post a Comment